Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Seege/ Teeke!

I'm currently staying with my second host family in Vientiane, Lyn and Rey. They are from the Philippines but Rey has been assigned to work in Laos for three year as a consultant.

This morning when Rey was talking on the phone, I heard "seeege, seege" repeatedly and that sounded really familiar. I turned to Lyn and asked...does "seege" mean "ok" by any chance? And yes! it did!

The reason why it sounded so familiar was that the word for "ok" in Hindi is "teeke" and it's one of the few Hinidi words that I learnt last summer that will probably stay with me for the rest of my life:)

Hindi-Tagalog connection! pretty cool ehy?

1 comment:

  1. you know what, my company blocks blogspot.
    every other blog sites are fine but this. ugh. weird not?

    ReplyDelete