Monday, July 12, 2010

"Nam"

Today when I was going to Joma to meet with my Lao tutor, a little boy about 5-6 year old was following after me. He dressed in shaggy clothes with no shoes on. He had a bag made of cloth that hanged over his shoulder, which was obviously too big for him. He closed his palm in the pleading gesture said something in Lao to me, asking for money.

When I was about to walk away, he pointed at the water bottle in my hand and said "nam" which means "water" in Lao. I handed my water bottle to him. He ran to his sister who looked not much older than him, waving the water bottle in his hand.

I wondered what his world is like - a world in which drinking water doesn't come from Brita filters or the tap, but from the hand of a stranger who happened to pass by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment