Friday, July 31, 2009

I make friends with my camera

Whenever I go into the field area and take out my camera to take a picture, kids who were following me always gasp in amazement. So the other day I turned to them and told them to smile and took a picture of them.


Later on, one of the girls who were following me ran to the day care center in the area, gathered up all the kids in the center, and ordered them to sit on the stairs nicely. While I was busy doing interviews, she kept on stealing glances this way, saying “picture!” and pointed at the crowd of kids who were sitting beside her, eagerly waiting for me. The person responsible for the day care center came out to see what all the fuss was about. My translator explained to her that I wanted to take a picture of the kids. Her tense expression ease down a bit and a smile appeared on her face. She told us a picture is fine, but to take it inside. The children ran inside, situated themselves nicely again. Since I’m not a great photographer, I couldn’t really capture their natural state when they were laughing and teasing with each other, and some of the children were a little nervous when ordered to pose like that. But, I tried my best! After I took the picture, I showed it to the kids. They took over my camera saying “deko deko!” (look! look!) and were very eager to point out where they were in the picture to me. Thanks to this modern invention, I got to be friends with these cute little kids☺

No comments:

Post a Comment